Thinking about TMS software? Choose the best TMS vendor for your brokerage.
There was a time when phone calls and file cabinets full of paperwork served the freight brokerage industry well enough when managing freight. Fax machines and snail mail were the only options for quickly sending documents. And, of course, Excel spreadsheets, files and emails constituted transportation management systems. In some cases, they still do. They too, however, are reaching dinosaur status as companies and freight brokers recognize what TMS software providers now offer.
How do I choose the best transportation management system for my company?
Think of your current needs and what they may scale to in the future. You most likely are not going to want to be going through an upgrade every few years because your initial TMS software has proven inadequate for your growing need for superior supply chain management.
To find the top TMS system for your company, start with a survey of your current transportation management process.
- Are you using software specifically designed for third-party logistics?
- Is the system cloud-based? Does it require expensive servers and massive updates? Can it be accessed anywhere at any time?
- How good is your visibility into where shipments are at any given time, and what has your experience been in terms of reacting to delays?
- Does your current process include shipment tracking services and business intelligence so you can provide customers with updates?
- Day to day, how many people are involved in implementing, tracking, and processing shipments? How many invoices do you audit in a month? Is your TMS system automating back-office processes to speed up operations?
- Is your supply chain management process comprised of several systems that require integration with a TMS?
- If you have a TMS in place, does it have digital advantages that cut out day-to-day tasks and create cost savings for your business?
- Are you able to manage and report on your freight costs and maximize your carrier selection process?
Rank your needs before speaking with a transportation system service provider?
With a top TMS solution, you can see an ROI in time savings, bottom-line savings, error mitigation savings, or all three! Door 1, door 2, and door three. Which of these ROI drivers is most important to you?
Think about these issues in determining if you are ready to streamline and more easily manage freight costs and everything related to supply chain management.
- Your TMS time-frame factor. Are you an “I need this system fully integrated with my current programs – and up and running yesterday” person? Or would you feel more comfortable with a slower, step-by-step process? And, given who will have access to your TMS solutions software, how user friendly do you want the interface to be? Does your current transportation management process save you both time and money and allow your freight brokers to work quickly and efficiently?
- Your TMS growth factor. If your business is growing, you probably want to consider transportation management software that will easily scale as your needs change. Choosing TMS, though, depends on your budget and how much you want to spend on both implementation and subscriptions. Think about your modes of transportation and what areas you hope to grow in the future.
- The clear-eyes TMS factor. The more you see, the more you know. Would full visibility into all your shipments take away uncertainty and save you time? Would real time metrics, dashboards, and custom reporting allow you to make better business decisions?
To find the top TMS System on the market? Talk to the right TMS Vendor.
Okay, you now should be closer to knowing what your priorities are in choosing TMS software, but your selection of a TMS vendor requires familiarity with what is available in the market and how TMS systems are sold.
- Finding the best TMS software provider requires not only understanding your needs, but also actively seeking out the features that will have the biggest positive impact on your business. The selection process can be tough, so beware of providers that charge high dollars for tools and features you will never use.
- Reputation speaks volumes in every market, and TMS is not an exception. Research is key to choosing the top TMS vendor for your needs. Look for reviews prepared bythird-party consultants, and don’t forget to gather intelligence from people who are already using the solution you are considering.
So many questions! EZ Loader TMS is ready to help. Book a demo with EZ Loader TMS. By diving into your business needs, we will be happy to provide a guided tour of our TMS solution. The result? A TMS solution that will fit your business model and drive sustainable growth.